Spiced Pecans and Ham Biscuits (coming soon)! Both are at the top of the family’s ‘must have’ list at Thanksgiving and Christmas and are part of the pre-dinner appetizers. Of course, they can be done weeks ahead of time.
THINKING THANKSGIVING - Spiced Pecans
Servings: 2 LBS
- 2 LBS MAMMOTH PECAN HALVES
- 3/4 CUP BUTTER
- 1/4 CUP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 1 TBS. CURRY POWDER
- 1 TBS. POWDERED GINGER
- 2 1/2 TBS GARAM MASALA
- 2 TSP KOSHER SALT
MaryJames dishes it out:
- Local pecans are worth the $$....big, plump and delicious. These were purchased at Harris Teeter. Beware! Packages are 12 oz, so almost 3 packages will be needed.
- Garam Masala is a blend of Indian spices so every producer does it a bit differently. I am now finding it in grocery stores. However, it will always be much more reasonably priced in an ethnic market.
- Curry is also a blend of spices. Here I have used a combination of mild and medium...not much of a kick but just enough. If you like it hot and spicy, use some hot curry.
- These spices came from Savory and Spice, a national chain with a locally owned franchise. We are lucky to have a store at Friendly Center Greensboro. Check your location for a store. www.savoryspicestore.com
- Use fresh spices! If they have been in your pantry more than a few months, they have probably lost their umph. Smell them, these should be pungent. If not, buy new, but buy small amounts so this doesn't happen again!