Every family has their favorite recipes. This is ours. Always requested. And very easy to do.
Complete the menu with Coconut Rice and Mixed Green Salad with Orange Vinaigrette.
- 4-5 lbs BABY BACK PORK RIBS (have butcher cut slab in half lengthwise*)
- 2 TBSP OIL
- 1/4 CUP SOY SAUCE
- 1/4 CUP DRY SHERRY
- 1/4 CUP FRESH GINGER minced
- 4 CLOVES GARLIC minced
- 2-3 CUPS WATER (just to cover ribs)
- 1 1/2 TBSP BLACK BEAN GARLIC SAUCE
- 3 TBSP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- Cut the butcher prepared slabs into individual ribs.
- In the wok, heat oil and saute spareribs until lightly browned. It will take 10-15 minutes and not many will actually brown. It's ok.
- Add soy sauce, sherry, ginger, garlic and water. Use enough water just to barely cover. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- To Finish: Add bean sauce and brown sugar. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a glaze.
MaryJames dishes it out:
- Recipe can be done up to 3 days ahead and reheated, tightly covered in 350 oven.
- A Cuisinart mini-chop makes mincing ginger and garlic an easy task. A great kitchen tool to have.
- Black Bean Garlic Sauce is usually available in the international section of grocery stores but is readily available in Asian markets.
- Don't worry, it doesn't look very appetizing until totally reduced and glazed
- If done ahead and refrigerated, the fat can be lifted off before reheating.
- 2 CUPS JASMINE RICE
- 1 14 OZ CAN COCONUT MILK (full fat)
- 2 CUPS WATER
- 1 1/2 TSP SALT
- Thoroughly rinse rice in cold water. Transfer to 2-quart sauce pan and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until tender ... about 20 minutes.
MaryJames dishes it out on variations
- Toss in chopped fresh cilantro just before serving or perhaps some fresh green onion slices.
- Lime zest over the top compliments many Asian dishes
ARUGULA and MIXED GREENS with ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
MIXED GREENS with ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
- SALAD GREENS (red tip or romaine or spinach..your choice)
- 4 GREEN ONIONS, sliced
- 2 TANGERINES
- PARMESAN, grated
- BREAD CRUMB CROUTONS*
- 1/2 CUP OLIVE OIL
- 1/4 CUP ORANGE JUICE
- 2 TBSP RED WINE VINEGAR
- 1 TBSP SUGAR
- 1 TBSP LEMON JUICE
- 1 TSP DIJON MUSTARD
- ZEST OF 1 TANGERINE
- 1/2 TSP SALT
- In a screwtop jar, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and shake. Of course, you could just do it in a bowl with a whisk. But you will have leftovers and the jar is perfect for storage.
- Chop greens coarsely. Put a few tablespoons of dressing in large salad bowl. Add greens of choice with green onions and tangerine sections. Toss gently, adding more dressing if necessary. Don't overdress!
- Bottled orange juice is fine for the vinaigrette but the zest of tangerine is game changing.
- Always start with some vinaigrette/dressing in bottom of bowl. It typically doesn't take more than a few tablespoons. If after gently tossing the greens, more can be added. DON'T overdress!
- The jug of Costco (Kirkland) grated Parmesan is a staple in my refrigerator
- Bread Crumb Croutons are a pantry staple. Recipe here http://maryjames.net/kale-arugula-salad-feta-bread-crumb-croutons-lemon-shallot-vinaigrette/
- Don't want to make croutons? Substitute the 'old school' canned potato sticks.