Parmesan Shortbread is a mainstay in my kitchen. Wonderful to pull out at aperitif time and serve along side other tidbits. Shown here with Celery Root Salad, S&P Quail Eggs, and Brazil Nuts….
PARMESAN SHORTBREAD with FENNEL DUST
- 1/2 LB UNSALTED BUTTER room temperature
- 1/4 CUP (30gms) POWDERED SUGAR
- 1/2 TSP FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 TSP. KOSHER SALT
- 2 CUPS (250 gms) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 CUP (125 gms) PARMESAN CHEESE finely grated
- EGG WHITE lightly beaten
- 2 TBS. FENNEL SEED
- 2 TSP. SALT (grey, maldon OR kosher)
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, pepper and salt and continue beating until well combined. Add flour and cheese and mix just until it begins to come together as a dough.
- Divide in half and place on a piece of plastic wrap. Press into a flat circular disk. Wrap and refrigerate for several hours or up to 2 days. Can freeze also.
- Fennel Dust:
- Using a mini-mincer or spice grinder, coarsely grind fennel seed then add salt and pulse just to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove disks from refrigerator about 30 minutes before continuing. Flour counter lightly and roll out to about 1/8-1/4-inch thick. (See video link below) Cut as desired and place on baking sheet lined with pan liner or parchment. Brush lightly with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with fennel dust. They don’t spread so can be placed very close together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or just lightly brown on the edges. Cool. Store in tin.
- This FaceTime Live video shows my dough/pastry rolling hack. An even thickness will be achieved every time. https://youtu.be/qP2To2SgTaE
- When baking, I highly recommend using a scale to measure. In this recipe using a scale for the flour and Parmesan takes out all the guesswork. Less mess, more accuracy !
- Store in tins. They are definitely best after a few days storage. Resist the temptation to enjoy hot from the oven.